Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Jewish Books of 2011

Here's an interesting list from Jewish Ideas Daily.

Of the making of Jewish books there is no end—and some of them are even worth reading.  The past 12 months have not produced a major Jewish novel; in fact, the best novel of the year was published by an obscure university press in Texas.  But histories, translations of Yiddish literature, selected poems from two of our finest poets, and several first-rate memoirs have rushed in to fill the gap.  And, as always, Jewish biography has proved to be a reliable category for the book-starved Jewish reader.  Here is a reader's guide to the top Jewish books of the past year, listed alphabetically by author's last name.


I am disappointed a novel is not included.  As part of a goal I set last year, I'm trying to read a few  books/literature other than mysteries and thrillers.  I have not given up mysteries and thrillers -- I love 'em -- but recently I've read a couple books dealing with other cultures and thoroughly enjoyed them --  The Dressmaker of Khair Khana by Lemmon was very good.



No comments:

Post a Comment