Friday, November 5, 2010

Lending Kindles

Though I ended up purchasing a Kindle, one of the reasons I considered a Nook was the lending capability to another Nook owner (once for a two-week period) and borrowing books from the public library. I decided that borrowing a book from a friend might be okay for short books, but sometimes I need longer than two weeks to read a book. So what would I do after that two-week lending period? I'd have to buy the book or check the public library offerings.

After owning a Kindle for three months, I do not regret the decision not to get a Nook. I find that my life activities determine how much time I can devote to reading which hasn't been much lately for a variety of reasons. The books I purchased from Amazon and those free books that I downloaded are still in the queue waiting for me.

Then the other day I heard that Kindle will allow lending books in the near future. The Kindle, too, will only allow a maximum lending period of fourteen days. Why is that? Why even have a limit? If the book is on loan, only one person can read it. Why should it matter who has it on the device?

No comments:

Post a Comment